Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Off the wagon

Hello Blog, it's been a while. 

I left off after the Tour de Fat to do some vacationing. I'm sure my wife's lovely blog can fill you in on the details of that, but here's some highlights in no particular order:

1) Young chickens are entertaining
2) Soul food rules my world
3) American Cyclery is the coolest bike shop I've ever been to. 
4) Triple Rock Brewing in Berkeley knows how to make an fantastic imperial stout. 
5) Driving a purple car with pink stickers has different results from a more "manly" car. Stereotyping is alive and well on CA freeways.

So in the month since I've posted I've been to California, turned 30, slacked off on my weight loss goals, and slacked on bike commuting. Somewhere on the I-5 I must have lost motivation. 

So yeah I turned 30. The big day I've been so afraid of. Wasn't that big of a deal (which is how I wanted it to be), but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner with my wife really made it special in a simple way. Playing with my new Wall-E toy that Garren got me surely entertained me at work, and the visit to Papago Brewing after work was nice as well. 

Weight Loss: Yeah I haven't stepped on a scale in a while, but I will when I'm in the mood to see what it says :)

Bike commuting: One of my passions, hell the activity that spawned this blog! I could think of some good excuses on why I haven't been riding, but it really comes down to something as simple as the seasons. It's COLD. 55 degrees in the morning is equal to a blizzard in Iowa for someone who's lived in Phoenix for this long. I usually enjoy the cold when I'm prepared for it, but something about getting up at 4:15am to get ready for a bike ride in the cold that's really hard to do. I'm willing to face it, but I'm slacking on getting cold weather gear for riding. Biking clothes are not cheap! I barely spend $100 a year on clothes for work, and now I'm faced with spending $150 in clothes just to keep me warm on my bike ride! The logic behind it has me all confused. I need to find some alternatives that aren't so damn expensive that will serve the same purpose. Because I'll never drop the weight if can't get back to having regular bike rides! Plus the afternoon temperatures are just nice to waste! 

Alright I've got to get studying for my LEED exam, so I'll try to get back to blogging on a more regular basis again another night. 


1 comment:

Punky said...

You do have one other fantastic excuse honey. I can't see how the bike commuting would help in the procreation at all...

I'm glad I could help you have the birthday you wanted, even if it went against everything that I would want... =)