Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Snowpacolypse Failed/Goodbye Bikes

The 10-14" of snow that was due to fall a couple days ago ended up dropping less than 5". Plus it's somewhat warm out (for this time of year) so it's melting already. The wet slushy snow and melted runoff is sure making a mess of man and machine! I'm so glad I found a reasonable fender solution for the Pugsley. Using the SKS Mud-X up front and the SKS Grand M.O.M. on the rear, I've been able to stay fairly dry as long as I make sure to slow down before hitting big puddles. Here's the latest incarnation of the Pugsley Super Commuter:



Goodbye Bikes:

I sold my Surly CrossCheck. The love/hate relationship with it was too much, and everytime I looked at it, I just saw dollar signs. Surly's outstanding resale value means more toys for me. So the proceeds went to pay for the Romic project and the new Husker Du tire on the Pugsley. There might even be change leftover. We'll see.

I also sold the Itoh fixed gear bike. I'm not the single speed type. It gets windy here, and the tall gearing was just too much for my knees on days with headwinds. Plus I hate checking the weather to see if it's a "ride" day. I replaced it already with a touring bike. More on that in another post.

3 comments:

Chris said...

I mostly get by with just one bike - even in the winter. I ride a folding bike, which is surprisingly versatile. And when it turns really ugly, I can take it on the bus with me, or catch a ride home with someone (bike fits in a trunk)

Jason said...

I messed around with an old Dahon folder a couple years ago and really liked it. Folding bikes are cool.

YummieBerry said...

Hi Jason.. Need to ask you about Surly CrossCheck.. Did you use 700 or 26 tire on your CC?

Thanks..