Pages

Monday, September 8, 2008

Coffee = Great! Weatherman = Bad!




I stopped again at Dutch Bros. Coffee this morning to take Jim up on his offer for a mug (see post below this one). Heidi was awesome this morning and gave me a choice of mugs, checking to see which one would fit into my bottle cage. I tried to pay for the delicious latte that filled it, but Heidi wouldn't accept it. I'll have to tip her double next time since I didn't have anything smaller than a $20 today. Doh! Big thanks to Jim and Heidi for going out of their way to make sure my cup unhappiness was resolved, they've got a customer for life now!

I got about 3 hours of sleep last night, and right before bed I checked the weather. 79 degrees, 10% chance of rain, sunny and 3mph tailwind. Great! Within 3 pedals strokes out of my driveway I realized the weather was off. It was muggy, about 84, and still way too dark to see the clouds. 

About a mile after my coffee stop, I crossed the Mill Ave. bridge just in time to catch the sunrise over the lake below. The ASU rowing team was out for an early practice, so I took a moment to take a pic of the sunrise and enjoy my coffee for a moment. On one side of the bridge was a nice sunrise, the other was clouds and lightning. Lovely. I kept on pedaling to work and arrived without any weather worries. 

About 1pm, after my tasty lunch of Easy Mac and applesauce, I'm draggin'. The 3 hours of sleep are starting to sink in. I take a peek outside and see the trees blowin' in the wind. Hmmm, wrong again weatherman! There's clouds building the south, so I duck out about 3:15pm for the ride home. It's windy. Not the 7mph tailwind as weather.com reported, more like 15mph headwind. Ugh. Did I mention my lack of sleep? So I debate getting a "bus boost" to cut 10 miles off of the trip home, but even though I'm tired and it's windy...I'm havin' fun! So I press on. 

Made it 3 miles from home when I see about a dozen police cars blocking the road. As I get closer, a pedestrian tells me that I better go around. "Go around? Why?", I asked. "There's a shootout going on, SWAT is there". Didn't need to tell me twice! So I hit unfamiliar streets to detour around the crime scene. My 3 mile home stretch becomes 5 miles, and I'm a bit lost. Of course this is in the scariest part of my route, and there's a crime in progress to boot. I muster up some energy and haul ass outta there. My fun was definitely over and I arrived home safely, albeit worn out. Hopefully Wednesday's ride will treat me better. 



1 comment:

Punky said...

My dear darling CRAZY husband... That is why I have a car that fits your bike. I'm glad you had fun, and I'm SUPER glad you didn't get shot.