Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

Bikepacking Cheap

When I first became interested in bikepacking, it was through blogs and mtbr.com posts from people with more free time and budget than I do. While I'd love to have the latest gear and a lighter "kit". I make do with what I got. The purpose of this post is to remind you that you don't need special equipment to go on a S24O or quick adventure.

Take Rivendell for example. They specialize in this type of stuff and are well respected in the cycling world. For good reason too. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've dreamed of going on a shopping spree at their site, they truly have some of the nicest stuff I've ever seen. In the articles section of their site is a portion about what to bring on an overnighter. Have a look, then come back here and compare. http://www.rivbike.com/article/bike_camping/a_kit_for_one_night_out

My kit is as follows (see previous post for a picture of the Pugsley loaded up):
Outdoor Research 15L Drybag ($15 from REI)
-Contains Thermarest Sleeping Pad ($20 from craigslist)
-Contains HiTec 1 man Backpacking Tent ($25 from Big5)
This Drybag is strapped to the handlebars using the Coleman camp straps ($2 for a pack of 2)

Deuter Framebag ($16 from TreeFortBikes)
-Contains Bike Tools, Flashlight, Lighter, Knife, First Aid, Etc.

Rack is a Planet Bike Eco Rack ($5 from Craigslist, but about $25 new)
Nashbar Daytrekker Panniers ($25 from Nashbar)
Left Side contains clothes (camp shirt/underwear/shorts/shirt for ride home) with room to spare.
Right Side contains emergency plastic rain poncho, a 8' piece of paracord, and food (more on that later).
Strapped to the top of the panniers/racks using the Daytrekker straps is a HiTec Tioga sleeping bag, 30degree ($20 at Big5)

Camelbak Blowfish ($30 from an AZ LBS sale, but you probably have one already)
-Contains 100oz water, chapstick, mountain money (TP), food. toiletries

Banjo Brothers Top Tube bag ($15)
-Contains Camera, Phone, Map.

For Food I brought 2 PB Sandwiches, 3 or 4 mini Clif bars, Fig Newtons, Laffy Taffys!, and a couple Gu gels. The gels have caffeine. Something my body has decided is quite important. Also, they taste pretty good and make for a decent "treat" at a quick stop. Not exactly their intended use, but that's how they work for me. I also knew my route passed by a couple gas stations, so breakfast coffee/donut was bought there in the morning. I have an alcohol stove that I made (google "super cat stove") but I didn't feel like cooking anything, so it didn't come along.

Most of my stuff is cheap, but it works, and at the prices I paid, the weight is pretty respectable. Of course if I were going on a long tour or anything longer than 3 or 4 days I'd surely be making some upgrades. First thing I want is a new tent. I like to be able to sit up inside, and that isn't possible in my tent. Something waterproof would be nice as well. But considering how cheap this tent was, I'll get a couple more nights out of it before it becomes a play tent for my kids.

So if you've ever thought about bikepacking, take a look around and see what you can use first. Odds are you'd have most of what you need right at home.

No comments: