Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Oh really now

Surly's recent blog post that announced the 2012 products had a new tire called the Big Fat Larry. Rumored to be a 26x4.5" tire, actually release was a 4.7"! Even before the announcement the fat bike community was scheming of ways to get it into their existing bikes. Surly's blog post had this little tidbit: "Yes, it will fit into a Pugsley frameset on a Large Marge rim. HOWEVER, You will no longer be able to use your small ring or largest three or four cogs in the rear due to tire/chain disagreements."



To that I say, "Oh really now". It fits just fine with no disagreements in the drivetrain! Thanks to Big Mike at Paramount Sports for making the experiment happen so quickly. I asked him about ordering me some yesterday around 2:30pm, and they arrived today at 12:30pm! Tires were installed less than 24 hours after ordering, that's pretty quick in my book.

These fatter tires should give me a hair more ground clearance and a bit more float in the snow, as well as better traction due to the more supple tire casing. The bike also lost half a pound of rotational weight, so it should be a little faster as well!



Now if I could only feel better. Sinuses/allergies/cold/whatever this is that is draining my energy, make my throat scratchy, and make my nose run is really annoying. Sick day today coincided with new bike toys, but I wish I could go ride and enjoy them.

No comments: