Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Fatpacking/S24O


This morning, I woke up to the sound of tapping and scratching on the side of my tent. There was just enough sunrise light to show the silhouette of a frog, trying to jump up and climb the side of my tent.

Earlier this week I had the idea to go bikepacking again, just a simple S24O (Sub 24hour Overnight Bicycle Tour) to get away for a while. I got out all my stuff and loaded up my Cross Check to see if it was feasible, then started checking out Google Earth to find a route. I found a spot about 35 miles east of here near Lee Lake. I then used Google Maps Cycling directions and noticed it suggested mostly all gravel roads. Normally I don't mind gravel on the Cross Check, it's more than capable on most surfaces, but the map had suggested a road I've attempted to ride before. It's just too loose and soft for those skinny (700x38s are skinny?!) tires. Not seeing any good alternate routes, and excited by gravel, I chose to stick with the Google route, but changed to my Surly Pugsley.


Bikepacking on a Fatbike = Fatpacking. The 3.8" wide tires have zero issues with gravel, so I knew I'd be able to enjoy riding my bike, and not worrying about what "line" I took in the gravel, or whether or not I'd be able to follow a car track. I could space out, talk to myself, look around, take pictures, etc...all without a care in the world. Since my destination was only 35 miles away, the fatbike made sense. It's much slower. It's no slug, but it's slower. More time to enjoy the ride. Not for a second on this trip did I regret taking the Pugsley, but there were several times I was incredibly thankful I didn't attempt this trip with the Cross Check.

I didn't take hills into consideration, and the Cross Check's gearing isn't low enough, especially when loaded with stuff. I would have been walking a lot. Walking sucks. The Pugsley's super low granny gear allowed me to spin my way up everything. The low gearing also allowed me to spin comfortably against the massive headwind that haunted my return trip.


As for the trip itself, I left Friday after work, about 5pm. Within 15 minutes I was away from civilization and I had miles and miles of gravel to grind before reaching my destination. I stopped and took some pictures, had a few snacks, and generally tried to enjoy my ride and surroundings without a time limit. So often my rides are limited by work, availability, or riding with others and trying to hold a pace. This was nice, I knew that I should end up at camp by 8pm to avoid setting up my tent in the dark, and I made it just in time.


The tent went up quick, and I was settled for the night. Tossing and turning before finally getting to sleep, only to be woken up by raindrops around 1:30am (my tent isn't waterproof). I dealt with it and finally got a few hours of decent sleep (using my Camelbak as a pillow) before Mr. Frog's feable attempt at scaling the side of a tent that brought my slumber to an end.


The ride home was a repeat of the ride there, except with a hell of a lot more wind. 10-20mph headwinds gusting to 28. Damn near constant. I certainly burned some extra calories riding 30+ miles into a headwind on a 60lb loaded bike. Even as demoralizing as headwinds can be on a bike, it didn't get me down today, it just wore me out quicker and delayed my arrival at home to around noon.


I was stopped a couple times by people wanting to know more about the bike and how they'd never seen tires so big. I sincerely don't mind. Plus I was rarely seeing people or cars on my route, it was nice to socialize a little (besides talking to myself). The sight of the bike makes kids and adults alike say "whoa" when I ride by. Same way I felt when I first saw one, and the novelty hasn't worn off. This bike truly makes me feel younger. That sentiment has been shared by other fatbike owners too. It's magical.

The fountain of youth is pedal powered. Go ride somewhere.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Head winds, not a fan either. Only made worse when combined with rain and/or hills... and we get a lot of both over here in Scotland. Good post.